Hello, my friends ! Today I am going to share a very simple authentic Assamese dish, it is Dhekia xaak bhaji .Dhekia, the vegetable fern is favourite of Assamese people. It is cooked in many ways.For example…Dhekia xaak stir fry with potatoes and chickpeas ; Dal and Dhekia Xaak, Fish sour curry with Dhekia Xaak and Ou tenga (elephant apple)etc. whatever may be the cooking type , I like dhekia Xaak very much and I am very much sure that you are also going to like it. Today I had dhekia xaak bhaji or vegetable fern stir fry with potatoes in my lunch and I am going to share that simple yet delicious recipe with you .
Before I share the recipe I want to give a small introduction on this Dhekia xaak (Vegetable Fern). Many of you may not know about this fern. Dhekia is generally not planted or grown in gardens. They grow wild by roadsides or any unused plots of lands. . The scientific name of Dhekia xaak is Diplazium esculentum. Vegetable fern has antioxidant , is a source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and is high in iron and fibre. It is low in sodium, but rich in potassium, which may make it suitable for people who need a low-sodium diet.
- Dhekia ( Vegetable Fern) : 2-3 bunches
- Potato: 1 ( cut into small pieces)
- Panch Phoron : 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Onion: 1 ( Chopped)
- Mustard oil :2 tbsp
- Salt (according to your taste)
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Wash ,drain and chop the tender part of the vegetable greens. Only the tender stems of Dhekia xaak can be eaten, the hard part should be cut off.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- Add Panch Phoron when oil is hot.
- Then add onion slices and fry them till brown in colour.
- Add potato pieces followed by the turmeric and salt.
- When potatoes are a little bit fried add dhekia xaak.
- Stir upon medium heat till dry and done.
- Serve Dhekia xaak bhaji with rice.